Many members of Juvente Estonia are going to the summer camp this year in Sweden. About 2 weeks ago we were searching desperately for the cheapest means to travel there. So far the cheapest way is by ship to Stockholm. So we wanted to book tickets, but problems were in head of us. It turned out that people under 18 need to have an adult at least 30 years old accompanying them on the ship. The problem is that since we still are a youth organization then of course we don't have anyone that old in our org. We tried to convince the ship company, but it didn't work. Since it sounded absurd that someone over 30 has to be with us, I decided to ask from Estonian Consumers Union if this kind of thing is even allowed for the ship company and after putting me on hold for at least 3 times, they said they really don't know, that it is new for them and finally told me to use another ship company then (what a freaking excellent advice from such place, I'd say). They recommended me to call to Foreign Ministry or to Social Ministry to complain it to discrimination departement. Well well well, I felt a bit discriminated of course for being so young, but since it wouldn't have really helped us getting tickets then I didn't do that and tried Foreign Ministry instead. They told me what Sweden demands from people under 18 travelling to their country, but it didn't say anything about having a person over 30 accompanying them. So I tried Swedish Embassy. They didn't know for sure, but thought that "maybe" the company has the right to make their own rules... Great.. Anarchy it is then;)
The next shock I had in one travel agency. Me and my friend were being welcomed by a travel agent who was completely drunk. During her working day. She was smelling of strong alcohol and could barely speak normally. She was at least 40.
So it made me think - does age really garantee that the person is responsible enough to take care of 16-year old on the boat trip? Obviously not. I think members of sobriety organizations could have some priviligies that others don't have. Unfortunately it isn't written in my passport that I don't drink alcohol. I would gladly have this kind of sign in my passport.
Tellimine:
Postituse kommentaarid (Atom)

Kommentaare ei ole:
Postita kommentaar